- Why you should choose Tynecastle
- Joining Tynecastle High School
- Starting at Tynecastle High School
- Key Staff at Tynecastle High School
- Information for Parents/Carers
- Information about Place2Be at Tynecastle
Choose it for its learning environment.
We have state of the art facilities, technology and equipment that enable us to provide an education for the 21st century. To enhance Learning and Teaching, all our students S1-S6, have been issued with their own iPad.
We are delighted and proud to be recognised as an Apple Distinguished School and an Apple Regional Training Centre, for our continuous innovation in learning, teaching and our school environment.
Some of our unique facilities:
- Rooftop greenhouse for biology
- 252 seat auditorium for assemblies/shows with adjoining Drama studio
- Nine specially designed music practical rooms
- Industry-standard recording, mixing & editing equipment
- Adjoining community wing
- Greek-style amphitheatre in playground
- Roof top terrace linked to art department
- Features from old the Tynecastle building have been incorporated (double stairwell, stained glass panel from ceiling) to remind us of our rich heritage.
Choose it for its opportunities to achieve.
In school we have a wide range of clubs from the craft club and bike maintenance to fitness and fencing. Out of school we participate in Duke of Edinburgh, World Challenge expeditions – the 2016 trip was to Tanzania – and we run numerous school trips.
Choose it for the multi-cultural dimension.
Over 38 different nationalities are represented in the school, and we are proud of the diversity of our school community. We are an inclusive school which caters well for students across the ability range. This was commented on in our recent HMIe inspection.
Choose it for its successes.
We have an excellent record of working in partnership with our career agency to ensure that all our school leavers move on to positive destinations.
Individual past success include:
- The Lothian Young Citizen of the Year
- First Prize in the OPITO Petrochallenge, an oil exploration and investment competition for senior students,
- The national winner of the Show Racism the Red Card competition in the literature category
- Two national Photography Prizes
We love welcoming new students to our school and do our very best to make this a good experience for children, young people and their families.
The first thing to do is to phone our school office on 0131 337 3488. One of the Depute Headteachers will be back in touch as soon as possible.
There is also information on school admissions on the City of Edinburgh Council website which you can find by tapping or clicking on the link here.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you to Tynecastle High School.
The video below, created for our 2020 P7-S1 Transition, shows you what the school building looks like and introduces some key members of staff who will answer questions for you.
This archive Parent/Carer Consultation video from 2020 will also provide you with an insight to our school.
Please Click/tap here for further FAQs
Information for Parent/Carers
Louise Moultray – Braemar – Support for Students Leader
Ross Rahimian – Dunvegan – Support for Students Leader
Oliver Cook – Tantallon – Support for Students Leader
Yvonne McGregor – Pupil Support Officer
Jana MacKinlay – Welfare Assistant (Health Care)
Tynecastle High School is proud to work with Place2Be which offers a Place2Talk for students or a Place2Think for staff. You can make an enquiry, or call the school office on 0131 337 3488.
Place2Be is the UK’s leading children’s mental health charity providing in-school support and expert training to help improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families, teachers and school staff.