At Tynecastle we feel very proud of our traditional, smart school uniform. We place great importance on school uniform to create a sense of belonging and raise self-esteem. All uniform items, except ties, can be purchased from any retailer.
The vast majority of parents, carers, students and staff are in favour of having school uniform because:
- it promotes a good image of our students
- it creates a school identity
- it helps improve school security
This policy complies with the Equality Act 2010 and protection of all learners under the following protected characteristics: age, disability, race, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, religion/belief, marriage/civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
The uniform policy is gender neutral and learners can wear uniform that aligns with their gender expression as long as it meets the school guidelines.
Our School Uniform is:
- white shirt or blouse
- smart black trousers (not joggers, leggings, jeans or tracksuit bottoms or any other fashion variety)
- black skirt – leggings can be worn under a skirt, just not on their own.
- a plain black jumper, cardigan or top or a Tynecastle hoodie or zoodie which can be ordered/purchased here. Please click/tap here for current offers.
- black shoes
- school tie (ties can be bought in school)
- school bag with all the necessary equipment including PE kit
- outdoor garments must be removed in classrooms
- belts must be plain black or white: fashion belts are not allowed
- leggings must be worn with a skirt, not on their own.
- hats are not to be worn in the classroom
- any jewellery must be minimal and in line with our Health & Safety Policy
Parents/carers and students can request free brand new uniform items. Uniform is available to all students.
Please click/tap the request button to choose the uniform items needed. Mrs McGregor will be in touch once your uniform is ready for collection.
Uniform Grants are available for families on low incomes. Local organisations can also provide support with uniform. Please contact Yvonne McGregor our Pupil Support Office & Family Liaison at Tynecastle. You can email Yvonne at email@example.com or contact Yvonne via the school office on 0131 337 3488. Click/tap here for more information and to see the supports available and how/what you need to apply.
Washing of Uniform
Due to high rise of energy prices, at Tynecastle we can wash uniform. Please contact our Pupil Support Officer who will be able to assist with this request. You can email Yvonne at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Yvonne via the school office on 0131 337 3488.