Frequently Asked Questions
- My child receives free school meals, what will happen now that the schools are closed?
- What will I receive?
- When will I receive my payment?
- What do I do if my bank account has changed?
- I have a child at Nursery, will I receive a payment for their meal?
- I have just recently made an application for Free School Meals, has my application been processed?
- My circumstances have recently changed, how do I make an application, and will it be processed with the schools being closed?
- I have a child in P5 who received free meals, but I have not applied for my child in P1 as meals were free anyway, will I receive funding for both children?
- My child is in P1-3 so I didn’t apply for free meals, will I receive a payment?
- I have been given a temporary award, will I receive an electronic payment?
Parents/carers will receive an electronic payment. This applies for all children from primary 1 to secondary 6 who received a School Clothing Grant between June 2019 and March 2020. Please be aware, that although free meals are given to all pupils across P1-3 when in school, not all P1-3 pupils will be eligible for a payment, we are making payments to those who received a clothing grant as they meet the income-based eligibility criteria that applies to children in P4 to S6.
The payment will be £22.50 per child per fortnight and will cover the last two weeks of term and the two-week Easter break. It will be made directly into the bank account your School Clothing Grant was made.
This arrangement will be reviewed during the Easter break based on advice from Scottish Government on likely timeframes for school closures. We will contact you again to confirm future arrangements.
The first payment will be made during the week starting 23/03/2020. If we did not have your bank account details, you will receive a letter during this week asking you to provide the necessary information.
Please email email@example.com explain the situation, provide the name(s) of your child(ren) new bank account details (bank name, address, 6 digit sort code and 8 digit account number). Please provide your full name and address when you contact us.
We are currently identifying children who would meet this criteria, including E2 children. Payments will be made as for school children. If you have any queries, please contact EarlyYears@edinburgh.gov.uk
All completed applications received on or before 21/03/20 have been processed. We have captured any awards made before 21/03/20 and will arrange for a payment to be issued to these parents/carers as soon as possible and you will receive a letter confirming this. Please note, we have not been able to process applications that were incomplete and those where there was no proof of eligibility. If you have made a recent claim and have not had heard anything please email firstname.lastname@example.org Please provide your full name and address when you contact us.
You can still make an application in the normal way via https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/food-clothing/free-school-meals-school-clothing-grants/1 , please note however, that applications received now may take longer to process.
Yes, as you meet the eligibility criteria for your P5 child you should automatically receive payment for both children. If this has not happened please email email@example.com Please provide your full name and address when you contact us.
Yes, if you applied for a clothing grant and met the eligibility criteria you will receive a letter during the week starting 23/03/2020 this letter will either confirm payment or request bank details.
Yes, provided you received a clothing grant and we have your bank details. If you did not receive a clothing grant, we will contact you to ask for your bank details.